Wednesday, November 08, 2006

someone has to speak

I keep looking for chatter regarding yesterday's election. Not the people losing power or gaining power. Not the switch from moderate Republicans to conservative Democrats. Not referenda on abortion, the lives of pigs, or constitutional changes. These are all issues that will be played out on the big screen of our common life in the weeks and months to come.

What I wanted to hear is more immediate, and more pressing. What I want to hear, I caught out of the side of my ear while on the way home last night: this election, up to the moment of polling, cost $1.4 billion.

How many vaccines could we provide?
How many children could we educate?
How many innovative and incredible ideas could we foster?

So I am waiting for the chatter, and I haven't heard it.

No comments: